WHAT WE DO
Former gang members contributiong to a healthy society.
STR8 UP assists individuals in mastering their own destiny and liberating themselves from gangs, addictions and criminal street lifestyles
We demonstrate our STR8 UP Values of Honest, Humility, Accountability
At the heart of the STR8 UP guiding principles* is a member-driven philosophy where members are core to all relations and activities.
1. It is necessary to offer alternatives to the negative and vicious stereotypes with which they too
often have been labelled.
2. Healing of individuals and groups goes hand-in-hand
3. The journey of healing begins where they find themselves, not where they want to be or are
expected to be.
4. Healing comes from within but it is everyone’s responsibility to support it.
5. Healing is a long, difficult, and painful process, full of setbacks, failures and slips.
6. STR8 UP does not duplicate programs and services available within the community.
7. STR8 UP is not battling the active street gang members and does not actively recruit new
8. STR8 UP Intervention is accomplished through Prevention of gang involvement among the
youth within the community.
9. STR8 UP is a Spiritual-based group.
10. It becomes necessary to possess a vision of new changes and new possibilities to begin the
WHAT WE DO
STR8 UP works in the core community in Saskatoon with ex-gang members and their families, to help support individuals as they embark on a healthier path. STR8 UP is a grassroots organization that is driven by our members. We do not walk in front to lead, nor behind to push, we walk beside our members to assist, accompany, encourage and support. We do our best to meet members where they are at and case plan accordingly.
Last year STR8 UP participants completed over 5000 hours of personal skills development and employment training.
Our healing model is key to reducing incidents of incarceration, drug use, and family dysfunction. We work to demonstrate that a healthy alternative to gang life is possible. This alternative works to build hope in our members and create opportunities for positive personal change.
THE FOUR PILLARS
STR8 UP works in four key areas to address the needs of our members and to build community capacity and understanding.
Develop personal skills and healthy relationships, including with each other. Develop parenting skills and work to strengthen and reunite families. Receive the training and education needed to live a healthy life and develop leadership skills.
Presentations, fundraising, seminars, workshops, and our books! Also includes building community awareness and understanding.